One of the most common doubts about the consumption of maca is whether it actually serves to lose weight, or on the contrary, it makes you fat . Unfortunately this question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. Instead, I would say: It depends!
To begin with, Andean maca is a tuber like any other. It provides a significant amount of calories and is rich in carbohydrates, fiber, amino acids, natural sugars, minerals and vitamins1 . It is clear that the simple fact of consuming maca powder is not going to make you gain weight or lose weight as if by magic. The answer depends onhow you use itand how you try to maximize its potential.
- Andean Maca – Nutritional Profile, Types, Contraindications, Frequently Asked Questions and More
- Properties, Benefits and Uses of Andean Maca What is it for?
Peruvian maca for weight loss
Success during a weight loss plan is never going to depend on a particular food or supplement. If you want to use maca to lose weight, the most important thing is to combine it with an active and healthy lifestyle. This makes special sense when we consider that the slimming power of this root lies in its ability to raise energy levels, balance hormones, improve mood and physical performance during exercise.2 3
Maca is very different from other energizers available on the market . It contains no caffeine, processed sugars, or artificial enhancers. That means that it can increase your vitality in a balanced and sustained way, without stressing the adrenal glands as it happens with other products.
These benefits may not seem relevant to losing weight, but believe me they can make a big difference. When you have enough energy to stay active, go for a walk, bike ride, and go to the gym every day, then you can tell you’re on the right track.
In addition, its high content of vitamins, essential minerals and unique compounds favor the synthesis of enzymes and proteins, which in turn helps to activate the metabolism . The faster your metabolism, the greater the fat burning and weight loss naturally4.
Remember that if you opt for Peruvian maca in capsules , you should always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on the daily dose and the frequency of consumption. If you prefer to take it as part of your diet, it is also important that you keep the portions controlled; 1-2 tablespoons a day may be sufficient.
How to take it if I want to lose weight?
A good suggestion is to add raw or gelatinized maca flour to your pre-workout snack ( 30 minutes or 1 hour before ), for example a banana and maca smoothie, or a plate of oatmeal and maca with milk. This will undoubtedly increase the performance and duration of your training.
It may interest you:
- Where to buy black, pure and organic maca?
- Where to buy red, pure and organic maca?
- Where to buy original, pure and organic Peruvian maca?
Andean maca to gain weight
Now, how is it possible that Peruvian maca helps you lose weight and gain weight at the same time? As I said at the beginning, it all depends on how we use it.
Scientific research has observed that the nutrients in maca have anabolic action , that is, they stimulate the growth of muscles in our body. This effect is based specifically on its contribution of amino acids, substances from which proteins are formed in the body.5 6 . If a person consumes Peruvian maca powder on a regular basis and does heavy training, they will start to put on weight as their muscle mass gets stronger. The bigger the muscles, the greater your body weight.
Not for pleasure, maca root has gained great popularity among athletes, fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders. In fact, it has become an excellent ally for women who want to increase their curves . When combined with weight lifting, squats, push-ups, lunges, and uphill walks, maca works to fatten the legs, buttocks, and hips. You can read more about this in Black Maca to Increase Buttocks .
Note: if you want to take maca to grow breasts, buttocks and legs, opt for the red and black varieties, preferably the black one.
On the other hand, some studies suggest that Andean maca helps induce appetite . It may not be the most encouraging thing for those trying to lose weight, but if you are trying to gain weight, this may help you eat more calories. Being a cruciferous vegetable, maca stimulates the production of certain hormones from the thyroid gland. Once the hormones are balanced, the body becomes more efficient at processing food, regulating energy levels, and supplying nutrients, causing a natural increase in appetite.7
How to take it to gain weight?
An optimal way to consume Peruvian maca to gain weight can be:
- Before exercise. Take an energy shake of banana, maca flour and almond milk.
- After exercise. Eat several protein pancakes made from oatmeal, egg, protein powder, maca powder, and peanut butter.
The acceptable dose can vary from 1 to 3 tablespoons daily, or from 1.5 to 3 grams8 . It is advisable to continue taking a small amount during the rest days, for example 1-2 teaspoons.
General advice on the consumption and purchase of Peruvian maca
- Make sure to take a high-quality maca powder . This must be fresh, certified organic, and made from authentic Peruvian maca roots. See: Where to buy original, pure and organic maca powder?
- If you have a sensitive digestive system or suffer from any digestive condition, it is better to consume gelatinized maca flour , instead of raw maca flour. See: Peruvian maca flour (types and recipes)
- Although it can be accompanied with other foods, taking it only with water helps the body assimilate it better and faster.
- Regardless of whether you are taking maca to lose weight or to gain weight, you should bear in mind that the results will not be instantaneous. Wait a minimum of 4 weeks to see the first changes .
- Most people can safely consume Andean maca, however it is not a food without contraindications and side effects . For example, people who have hypertension, hypothyroidism / hyperthyroidism, or any disease influenced by estrogen, should proceed with special caution. In these cases, the use of maca is not recommended without first consulting a doctor.
- How to Take Andean Maca? Options, Dosage, Precautions
- What Contraindications and Side Effects Does Maca Have?
Video: Recipe for healthy cookies with maca, cocoa and coconut powder
Now that you know the answer about whether maca makes you fat or thin, it only remains to say that the real change depends on you . There are no supplements or magic formulas. Make sure you eat healthy, get at least 30 minutes of vigorous physical activity every day, drink plenty of water, keep stress under control, and monitor your general health regularly.
I hope the information provided has been to your liking. Do not forget that any comment, question or suggestion will be well received in the Contact section .
My name is Louise Hammond, and I am the creator of this website, a place to find information about tubers, bulbs and medicinal roots. In Dreamsship.com I show the properties, benefits, characteristics, photos and images, ways of growing and how to make delicious meals from starchy vegetables.